Friday, January 2, 2009

Two Nuggets

I love sitting with someone smarter than me and getting wisdom and knowledge from them. I got that opportunity today.
I met with the owner of a church management software company, one of the biggest in the U.S., for a couple of hours this morning and came away with some great nuggets.

Nugget #1: Be a constant learner - an oldie but continues to be a goodie
You know, if everyone who's brainy keeps saying it, it's probably something I need to be doing. I know often times I feel like I need to be constantly learning about what's important to my performance on the job. But, duh, I need to be a constant learner about a lot of things; God's ways, husband, parent, finances, home improvements, etc... (I'm kidding about home improvement).

Nugget #2: Avoid "tribal knowledge"
Ooh, I like this one. Tribal knowledge is something learned that doesn't get passed on to others. It's like department A figuring out something that departments B and C could benefit by knowing, but department A doesn't pass the info on. When people on the team don't get this info, they may end up re-inventing the wheel or making mistakes that could have been easily remedied. Instead of keeping the knowledge in the "tribe", I need to pass it on to other's who could and probably would benefit. Whether it's "re-inventing the wheel", making mistakes or a long learning curve for the "new guy", all these time wasting activities could be avoided by not keeping knowledge and wisdom just within the tribe.

So there you go, I glimpse into what goes into Wayne's brain.

Happy New Year!

0 Comments: