Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Follow Up to “Have You Actually Read the Employee Handbook?”

This is what I was told today, “Wayne, starting with this current year, 2007, you now have four weeks of vacation a year and whatever is left over at the end of the year rolls over to the next.”

Oh yeah! Who’s your daddy!

Answering the question from my last post, “Have You Actually Read the Employee Handbook?” definitely produced a wonderful outcome in my life and I just had to add this follow up to Church Staff 101. My vacation time doubled because I read the binder, and my fellow staff members are benefiting as well. Folks, take the time to review the handbook, you have no idea what you’ll learn!

Some To Do’s When Bringing Up Employee Handbook Issues:

  • Of course, read it.
  • If you have a question, bring it to HR’s attention and ask for a clear explanation.
  • Be polite, this is not an “I got you” moment.
  • If there is a “ruling” in your favor, be thankful; you’re still an employee.
  • If HR can’t bring clarity, politely and respectfully bring it to the attention of a superior next in line.
  • Determine if this is a battle worth dying over, if not let it go.
  • If it’s a battle worth fighting and you feel like it’s a job “deal breaker” for you, be sure to read my series of posts, “Must Do’s to Get a Job.”
Submit your comments about reading your employee handbook, I’d love to hear from you.

Wayne

0 Comments: